About Northern Lights Exteriors
Most roofing and siding companies will show you a mission statement on the “About Us” page. There’s nothing wrong with mission statements, but they don’t address three of the main questions visitors usually have, when they’re looking for a good remodeling company:
- “Who are you, and how are you different?”
- “What do your previous customers think about you?”
- “Can you do the job I need done, at a fair price?”
So let’s get to answering them!
1. “Who is Northern Lights Exteriors, and how are you different?”
James Hooven founded Northern Lights Exteriors in 2001. (It’s hard to believe that we’re coming up on our 20th year in the same business—and a highly competitive one at that!)
We’re a family-owned company, and we’re proud to live in the very part of Colorado where we do business with our neighbors.
Our Great Crews
We actually have two families: The one you see above, and all the employees in our business. After all, we spend most of our days with our team members, and without them we couldn’t possibly have grown to be one of the largest remodeling companies in Colorado.
We pay our crews at the high end of the scale, and have several specialist teams of craftspeople. In fact, in all of Colorado there are only six certified James Hardie installation crews—and three of them work for us.
We pay for continuing education in the latest products and technologies for our people; that is by no means common in this industry. Many of our crewmembers get courted by other companies all the time, yet our average crew has been with us for more than five years. That’s a long time when you’re talking about physically demanding work.
Our Project Managers Are Also Key
If you decide to work with us, you’ll have regular contact with one of our project managers. This is also uncommon in the industry: most other remodeling companies toss you between people in sales, production, and the front office. Many of our customers like our project-manager approach a lot. You can read lots of testimonials here.
We carefully choose our project managers to be great at communicating: While they keep their eye on the goal of getting your project done on time, they need to work closely with suppliers, crews, and city officials. They also must keep you in the loop 100% of the time, with the level of detail that you prefer.
Meet Some of the Family
If you’d like to know a bit more about some of our people, please click any of the links below:
The Hooven Family:
Drake, James, Kristen, and Hannah
We think that community involvement is important, and that’s why we volunteer or financially support a number of organizations:
- Longmont Baseball League – Team Sponsorship
- St. Vrain – Longmont Indoor Soccer – Team Sponsorship
- Selkirk Outdoor Leadership & Education – Supporter
- Habitat for Humanity – Supporter
CERTIFICATIONS & MEMBERSHIPS
We’re not a one-trick pony, but have worked to get proficient in many different exterior products and organizations, so we can choose the right solution for your situation:
- ServiceMagic Seal of Approval
- A+ Better Business Bureau Rating
- Owens Corning Preferred Contractor
- CertainTeed Master Shingle Applicator
- EPA Lead Certified Home Renovator
- Tile Certified Installers
- Xactimate Certified Staff
- Colorado Roofing Association member
— Head Honcho – Owner
• I graduated from University of Georgia – Love SEC Football!
• I’m a Kappa Alpha.
• I’ve lived in Georgia, Montana, and Colorado.
• My best ski year – had me on the mountain 120 days.
• Been married for…ummm 15 years I think :)
• My daughter’s favorite sport is swimming.
• My son’s favorite sport is soccer.
• My favorite sport is golf. I try to take a trip at least once a year to check out a new course.
• My dog buddy is named Jackson. He’s a yellow Lab.
• My favorite food is steak.
— Head Wrangler | Office Operations
• I grew up in Stone Mountain, Georgia.
• Graduated with an Environmental Science Degree which is how I ended up in Boulder.
• Love the beach!
• I have completed my Yoga Teacher Certification.
• I’m married with two kids.
• I like to play guitar and sing—but I didn’t say I was great at it!
• I love all types of music, and seem to always have a “playlist” in the background.
• I use essential oils in the office to boost production from my team.
• Before working in construction, I worked in the ski industry for 15 years.
• Hiking and playing outdoors are some of the reasons I love Colorado.
— Director of First Impressions | Office Manager
• I am the mother of FOUR boys (kindergarten to college).
• I love to take pictures.
• You would be accurate in calling me a “crazy sports mom.”
• I have the need for speed! That’s why you will find me at the race track every other weekend.
• Nothing is better than being on my motorcycle, receiving Wind Therapy.
• I will listen to any type of live band—and I’ll enjoy it.
• I was born in the Ice Cream Capital of the World: LeMars, Iowa.
• My happy place is sitting on a pontoon, floating on a lake.
• I am a middle child.
• My husband and my kids are my world!
— Scheduling Sorceress / Office Coordinator
- I have been married to my husband Scott for a little over 3 years,
- I am a step-mom to two beautiful girls Monica 13 and Hailey 12
- I am a vegetarian
- I am an animal lover. We have 3 dogs Bella, Anja and Sig and one cat Stormy.
- I have lived in Illinois, South Carolina and Colorado.
- I have a love for SEC football. Go Gamecocks!
- No matter how old I am, I will always be a mommas girl. We talk every day 2 or more times.
- I love going to see live music.
- I love to make people smile!
- I love Chicago style pizza.The only kind there is in my opinion :)
— Project Manager
• I am a proud alumnus of the University of Georgia. Go Dawgs!
• I am a huge sneakerhead. They are works of art. I own at least 30 pairs of shoes.
• I love music and I’m always looking for something new to listen to. I’ve been to over 1,000 live concerts.
• My favorite musical artist of all time is the Godfather of Soul, James Brown.
• I have always had a soft spot for rescue animals and have done volunteer work with shelters.
• I have two rescues myself. They are a bonded pair (mother and son). Their names are Big Mama and Shakey Lamont.
• I got married by Elvis in Las Vegas. (Not to Elvis; by Elvis)
• Although I’ll never do it, I keep a running list of topics I would use if I ever did stand-up comedy.
• My secret: I have always loved to sketch and draw.
• I love to cook. Just about every TV show I watch is about food.
• Probably my most-favorite thing to read and learn about is quantum theory and astrophysics.
What a customer said about Mack:
I called several companies to get bids on our roof replacement. Northern Lights answered right away and happened to have a project manager in the area that day to come assess our damage. Mack Yaughn assessed our damage, walked me through the process and left it up to me to make a decision. Northern Lights was not pushy but honest and straightforward.
Once I decided to go with them, the process was super easy, Mack kept in close contact with me on all aspects of the project especially as a few items that needed to be replaced turned out to be difficult to do. I would hire these guys again!
Lone Tree, CO
— Project Manager
• I have 2 dogs: Whiskey is a 7-year-old Border Collie and Blue Heeler mix. Bailey is 8 months old, and is 3/4 Australian Shepherd.
• I’m originally from Maine. I’ve lived in Colorado for 12 years and in Longmont for 6 years.
• My family has been in the lobster business for 7 generations. My father and 2 brothers lobster fish for a living.
• I’m married to Lucy, a soon-to-be nurse practitioner. We dated for 2 years and were engaged for a year. We’re getting married this June!
• I’m a big fan of country music; love Chris Stapleton and Sturgill Simpson.
• I live the bearded life: Love the beard. Own the beard.
• Golf. I love to play it, but sadly I’m not very good. I will “let” customers win every time, but usually that’s not by my choice.
• We’re talking avid movie goer: if it’s good, I’ve seen it. Probably more than once.
• I watch way too much HGTV. Hey, I need to! It’s my job to know all about exteriors!
• I’m pretty much a celebrity: at one time I was ranked 3rd in the world for most kills in Call of Duty: World at War. See, it’s all good, because it helps me with virtual friendships, communication skills, and reaction times. It’s a stress-reliever and stress-causer at the same time.
What a customer said about Jeff:
Northern Lights and Jeff were a pleasure to work with! They were knowledgeable, courteous, and completed the work way ahead of schedule.”
— Project Manager
• I love old cars.
• I am the second oldest of 6 kids.
• I love camping and hiking in the summer.
• Talk radio doesn’t bore me.
• I’m originally from Nebraska. Go Cornhuskers!
• I have never lost a breath-holding competition. Wanna try me?
• I will sit by the BBQ smoker for as long as it takes to BBQ the perfect brisket.
• Baseball is my favorite sport to watch. Yes, even on TV.
• I once drove a classic car across and around the U.S. We’re talking more than 20,000 miles, seeing as many sites as I could. And I saw a lot.
• Chile is the favorite place I’ve traveled to.
What a customer said about Matt:
Matt Danitz was great about letting us know what was going on and when we could expect the crew. He came out and inspected the roof when it was finished to make sure everything was done correctly and that it would pass inspection for the county.
— Project Manager
• Our family loves to ski and enjoy the outdoors. The family motto is: “Get out there!”
• My wife and I met at UNC in Greeley and both graduated from there.
• We are proud companions to a rescue dog and are happy to have Zoey in our lives.
• I drive a lot and listen to talk radio 90% of the time. (I promise I am not boring.)
• I have traded stocks and commodities since I was 21. I enjoy the markets, and the economics of it all.
• Hawaii looks like such an amazing place! When I retire, I can guarantee that I’ll cross off Hawaii from my bucket list.
• I played a lot of sports growing up and in high school. I never played hockey, but it’s my favorite sport to see live and watch on TV.
• I’ve been on a chicken-wing binge the last few months and cannot figure out why. Oh wait—it’s because they are amazing!
• If I could have been anything different in life, I would have been a professional golfer. (Is that every guy’s dream?)
• Believe it or not, I love winter and the cold. There is nothing like heading up to the mountains to enjoy the scenery with family and friends.
What a customer said about Jonathan:
What an absolutely fantastic experience all around. Jonathan Shockey was our Project Manager beginning to end and he was extremely thorough, knowledgeable, and courteous.
— Project Manager
• I am married to my lovely wife Karen. We have one child, Chad, who recently graduated from the University of Arizona.
• I am a Colorado native.
• I have a dog that’s a mutt…but he’s such a good boy!
• I have over 30 years of experience in the window and door industry.
• I spend most of my free time on my mountain bike.
• I am a Huge Denver Nuggets fan.
• I have climbed 38 of Colorado’s 14,000 foot peaks.
• My current beard was started to support a good cause for a friend and I just kept it.
• I enjoy travelling and love visiting different places.
• I am pretty sure that wife married me based solely on my window knowledge.
— Project Manager
- I grew up on a small farm in San Diego and had to milk the goats before going surfing.
- I have 11 brothers and sisters–and no, sharing doesn’t get any easier.
- I’ve worked in numerous construction trades since I was 13. It enabled me to buy my own first car.
- I put myself through college by faux painting (painting that looks like marble, wood, etc.)…even though I’m colorblind! Musta looked all right to the customers.
- I made straight A’s through college—except for that C in ballroom dancing. (The teacher was generous with that C.)
- I taught English as a second language for four years in the Czech Republic to 6th-9th graders. Yes, European kids are just as aggravating.
- I have a phobia of busy parking lots.
- I have as a pet a 5-year old Blue Slate Turkey named Butters. We’ll see how Butters gets along with Ambassador Jackson.
— Chief Canine Officer
• I’m almost 21 years old—but humans think I’m only about 3 years old. Those humans tell me that I still need to work on my manners, but I think they’re pretty good.
• I used to run wild in the neighborhood until I got a new collar. Now there are some flags up around the property, and I don’t like to get too near to them.
• I love to play fetch. Will you play with me right now?
• I have a cat buddy named Midnight. He’s pretty cool. (I don’t know why other dogs don’t like cats.) Sometimes Midnight doesn’t want to play, but I keep trying.
• One time a project manager (I won’t say which one) almost ran over my paw. I’m OK, but here’s what you need to know: do not chase and bark at moving pickup trucks!
• The UPS driver brings me treats and lets me in his truck.
• I love to hang out with the office girls. They are always down for a good ear scratch.
• At least once a day, someone tells me to “get down.” I’m not sure what that means. It probably means “Thank you, Jackson, for the big slobbery kiss.”
• I love it when project managers bring their dogs to play with me at the office!
• I love giving big juicy kisses. You want one?
2. “What do your previous customers think about you?”
We have subscribed to an independent customer-review company since 2011 called Guild Quality. They contact all of our customers and ask them to give their honest opinion about how the job went. People are not shy about saying what they think! Guild Quality also follows 130 other companies in our industry, in order to get a sense of how companies compare to each other.
Of all the surveys sent out since 2011, our customers filled out 229 surveys and sent them directly back to Guild Quality. That was a total of over 2,600 answers to detailed questions. Our overall score is 97%, compared to the average of the 130 companies in our industry of 88%.
It’s a pretty comprehensive survey, with 18 questions covering communication, quality of materials and workmanship, problem resolution, and overall value in the view of the customer.
We’re pretty proud of the 97% score, but we’re also not satisfied that we have 3% of survey respondents who didn’t think we did a great job. We are in fact human and we do in fact mess up occasionally. That’s why we have the policy of your being able to contact James, the owner, if you ever feel like you may be part of the 3%.
We can’t guarantee perfection, but we can guarantee that we will make an energetic effort to fix the situation and make it right.
3. “Can you do the job I need done, at a fair price?”
It may be tempting for companies to say: “Of course we can do your job!” but we don’t say that. How can we? We don’t even yet know what you need done, so how could we!
There’s another reason: we’re not all things to all people. We focus our full-time efforts on being the best there is on the exterior of buildings. Sure, our craftspeople could do lots of interior work, but we stick to what we do best.
If the job you need done is on the outside of your property, there’s a good chance we’ll be able to help you. Just contact us and we’ll be happy to discuss your situation and expectations.
We also should be able to quote you a very fair price. We do many millions of dollars of business with suppliers, and that means we get discounts that are not available to the small fry. We have a real incentive to pass along savings to you, in order to win your business.
And speaking of prices, if you’re checking us out for storm restoration, we have additional good news: we go to bat for you with your insurance company, and can often negotiate a larger payout check from them to you. We talk more about this service here.