We were contacted by the homeowner about damage due to a hail storm. The Denver insurance company’s adjuster had already been out to the house, and had concluded that the house needed only some relatively minor repairs.
The house was rectangular, with two long sides and two short sides. The adjuster told the homeowner that the insurance company would replace the siding on one of the short sides of the house, and that the old siding on that short side could be removed and used to repair the siding on the long side of the house. The homeowner wanted our opinion.
We inspected the property and concluded that this proposal would not be in the best interest of the homeowner: first of all, the siding was 20 years old, and was no longer even available for purchase. Therefore the colors would not match. The new “short side” of the house would not match the repaired longer side.
The adjuster and insurance company agreed with our assessment, and paid to have the entire house covered in new siding.
This case involved a police officer who was also a single mom. After hail damaged her house, she was given a claim offer by the Denver insurance company. She had been sitting on the offer, because it was only for one window, a sliding-glass door, and a few small things on the roof like vents. It seemed like the claim didn’t square with the damage she could see with her own eyes.
She called us and we did our own inspection (it costs nothing, by the way). We determined that two other windows had been damaged, as well as the siding on two sides of the house. In addition, we concluded that the roof needed to be replaced–it was shot.
We worked with the insurance company, which eventually agreed with our assessment and rewrote its claim.
Here are some dollars-and-cents examples:
The above are just two examples of how the process works. Below are several more cases, and specifically what we were able to achieve in dollar terms for homeowners:
Longmont, CO: We got an additional $8,767.92 for the homeowner
The original insurance estimate was for $17,000 for roofing and gutters. After we reviewed the damage, we pointed out where the estimate was deficient.
We got the estimate to be re-written for correct market costs and additional components required by the local municipal code. The final claim amount was $25,767.92. We increased the insurance claim by 51.6%
Lafayette, CO: We got an additional $11,102.00 for the homeowner
The original insurance estimate was for $22,197 for roofing and gutters. We negotiated with the insurance company for realistic market costs and for additional materials that were required, based on city rules.
The check to the homeowner was for $33,299 instead of $22,197. That’s an additional $11,102.00 or 50.0%
Boulder, CO: We got an additional $166,977.01 for the homeowner
The original insurance estimate was for $74,852. The homeowner called us in and we had multiple meetings with the insurance company’s adjuster. The insurance company eventually agreed that there was substantial additional damage to many windows.
The check to the homeowner was for $241,829.01 instead of $74,852. That’s an additional $166,977.01, or a 223.1% increase.
Brighton, CO: We got an additional $8,552.06 for the homeowner
The original estimate was for $12,055.94. After our inspection, we pointed out the correct market costs and additional components required per the Brighton municipal code.
The check to the homeowner was for $20,608.00 instead of $12.055.94. That’s an additional $8,552,06, or a 70.9% increase.
Frederick, CO: We got an additional $8,745.00 for the homeowner
The original estimate was for $5,794. Again it was a matter of looking very closely at the damage, the building code requirements, and what it would cost to repair the property.
The check to the homeowner was for $14,719 instead of $5,794.00. That’s an additional $8,745.00, or a 146.4% increase.
Louisville, CO: We got an additional $41,173.64 for the homeowner
The original estimate was for $15,615. We discussed with the insurance adjuster the damage we found. Given the realistic costs we identified and the window damage that wasn’t added to the original report, we got the adjuster to re-write the claim.
The check to the homeowner was for $56,788.64 instead of $15,615. That’s an additional $41,173.64, or a 263.7% increase.